St. Josaphat Parish is a welcoming Catholic community — celebrating our spiritual growth in worship, committed to excellence in education, and dedicated to serving others.
The Coordinator of Youth Ministry and Children’s Faith Formation is responsible for coordinating programs that provide all parish children opportunities to encounter Jesus Christ, build community, and to experience missionary discipleship. The coordinator assists the parish efforts to equip children and their families to encounter Jesus Christ as part of a lifelong process that engages and encourages them to grow spiritually and intellectually as missionary disciples in the world. The coordinator facilitates the ongoing development of a personal and communal relationship between the children, their families, the faith community, and God. The coordinator is responsible for a mission of development, implementation, evaluation and ongoing improvement of ministry to children and their families in the parish. In doing so the coordinator must demonstrate leadership skills necessary to identify, develop, accompany and retain many volunteer leaders critical to the success of parish initiatives.
Essential Job Functions For Youth Ministry
- Engage youth in the social mission of the Church by providing service opportunities with their parish and community.
- Empower youth to celebrate and deepen their relationship with Jesus through planning and participating in weekend liturgy.
- Facilitate youth appropriate Catholic retreats bi-yearly for the youth to experience their faith on a more meaningful level.
- Affirm and call forth the unique gifts of youth by providing opportunities for leadership development and vocation discernment.
- Recruit and provide training and spiritual growth opportunities for volunteers.
Essential Job Functions For Children’s Faith Formation
- Collaborate on the planning and implementation of the Children’s Faith Formation calendars, meetings, prayer and sacramental celebrations.
- Coordinate faith formation programs for all children and their families in the parish community (pre-school to Grade 8).
- Plan and direct sacramental preparation that includes parents; retreats, masses, services, certificates and programs for the reception of the sacraments.
- Recruit and provide training and spiritual growth opportunities for volunteers/catechists
- Maintain accurate records that follow Archdiocesan policy and guidelines for sacraments, enrollment, and attendance, medical and legal matters.
- Direct Family Masses; Prepare student readers or activities. Assist with hospitality.
- Assist the week of Vacation Bible School.
- Previous experience participating in a parish faith formation program.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with clergy, staff, parish leaders and volunteers.
- Practicing Catholic with understanding and support for Catholic Church teaching, mission, and values.
- Comfortable using various methodologies and pedagogies for helping children to encounter Jesus Christ and develop a relationship with Him.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the developmental needs of children appropriate to the faith community being served.
- Mature discipleship evidenced in ability to comfortably witness to one’s own faith journey.
- Developed skills in leadership and management; strong commitment to collaboration and teamwork.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with technology used for communicating and presenting.
Preferred Job Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Pastoral Studies, Theology, Faith Formation or equivalent.
- Previous experience directing some component of a parish faith formation program, particularly Children’s Faith Formation program
- Applicant must be open to ongoing formation / education as needed.
- Language skills as needed (depending on needs of community)
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, collaborative, faithful, joyful witness, persistent, available, fair and balanced, dependable, person of integrity, sensitive to cultural, racial, and ethnic diversity and openness to the needs of the parishioners.
- Ability to deal with multiple projects, flexible, sound judgment, and comfortable with change.
- Applicant must be willing to work evenings and weekends, as the position requires.
Sundays, Tuesday evenings, and additional time as needed.
Please email resume to MaryJane@stjosaphatparish.org