A suburban, vibrant, pastoral sized parish seeks an experienced, creative, and organized individual with a passion for Christian Formation in young people. This individual would join the Rector and volunteers in organizing and implementing programs for a variety of ages to learn the stories of Christ’s love and form spiritual practices that support faith development. Familiarity with scripture, the liturgical seasons, and sacraments would be helpful in this role, as well as a value for outreach as formation and a desire to form a community of love and acceptance. We hope the Director of Children and Youth Formation will bring new ideas and establish systems for sustainability in our family programing. This individual would work closely with the Rector and be joining a strong, collaborative part-time staff.
About St. James the Less:
St. James the Less (SJtL) has been an active parish for 65 years. It is located in Northfield, IL, a residential suburb 19 miles north of Chicago. Most of our worshipping members reside within nine miles of the church. We have nearly 200 members, including 30 children and 24 youth on our rosters. Our average Sunday attendance in 2022 was 52 and has been increasing this year. Children attend worship with their parents, process out at the Gospel reading for Sunday School, and return at the Peace for Eucharist. Youth are acolytes and choir members and meet outside of worship. Please explore our website: www.stjamestheless.org.
Responsibilities and Duties include:
- Lead, evaluate, and maintain programs for children, youth, and families. Design and implement new programs where need exists.
- Coordinate, oversee, and staff children and youth activities on Sundays, as well as summer programming.
- Recruit, train, and provide pastoral care to volunteers that work directly with children and youth or support initiatives (i.e., children and youth leadership team members). Maintain safe-church records, making sure appropriate volunteers have background checks and upto-date training.
- Plan and implement fun, age-appropriate activities for children and youth that promote community and faith development (i.e, themed gatherings, outreach projects, and field trips).
- Facilitate young people participating in all facets of church, including worship, acolyting,choir, children and youth groups, Sunday School, service projects, and special events.
- Facilitate children, youth, and family participation in the sacraments, including Baptism and Confirmation. Manage youth Confirmation program.
- Supervise and schedule Nursery staff.
- Work with the rector to provide families with pastoral care, create program calendar, set
annual budget, and ensure staff are up to date with safe-church trainings.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Provide Director of Communications with a schedule and description of children, youth, and family activities. Promote children, youth, and family events to the parish.
- Maintain regular contact with parents and volunteers.
- Maintain rosters and update church database as needed.
- Coordinate an annual mission trip, including fund-raising events.
- Patient with children and youth and wants to provide opportunities for their spiritual growth, social development, and authentic selves to be expressed and validated.
- Models and shares in the Christian faith.
- An ability to communicate Christian values, Biblical stories, and Episcopal Catechism effectively to children, youth and adults.
- Creative, collaborative, entrepreneurial, and goal oriented. Enjoys working with a team.
- Leadership, organizational, and administrative skills.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Computer skills and social media experience.
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training.
- Experience with children and youth required.
- Experience in ministry preferred.
- Episcopal background preferred.
- Undergraduate or graduate study in theology and/or education preferred.
Hours and Compensation:
- 12-15 hours/week.
- Sundays required, as well as some evenings and Saturdays. Flexible schedule.
- Compensation based on experience; up to $20,500 annual salary.