Urban Village Church’s Mission is to Create Jesus-loving, inclusive communities that ignite the City. All roles in our church require a commitment to the pursuit and practice of anti-racist leadership, including transforming values, in line with our anti-racist commitments. All roles also require a commitment to LGBTQIA+ inclusion. A detailed overview of our church’s beliefs and values can be found online at www.urbanvillagechurch.org/beliefs/
Full Job Description
Urban Village Church, an affirming, multi-site United Methodist Church located in Chicago, invites applicants for the Director of Family Ministry, a 20-hour-per week position. The director would be responsible for children’s ministries at the church’s newest and first suburban site in River Forest and also would help support UVC’s children’s ministers at its Chicago sites.
- Live into and communicate well UVC’s mission and core values
- Affirm UVC’s commitment to inclusion and antiracism and use these commitments as lenses for leadership, culture-building, and curriculum & program development
- Creatively communicate God’s story to our young people in multisensory ways, with special attention to those children in the community with special needs
- Be passionate about engaging and integrating children and youth into the life of the church with a particular commitment to intergenerational ministry
- Take the lead with UVC’s other children’s ministers, in collaboration and coordination with the Teaching Pastor, developing curriculum and planning all-UVC family events, including:
- Vacation Bible School
- Seasonal retreats (Advent, Lent)
- Mission/Service trips and projects
- Coordinating (and at times leading) Confirmation classes
- Spiritual Milestones/Rites of Passage coordination & celebrations (eg, 3rd-grade Bibles)
- Other events and spiritual practices as needed, as discerned by parents and children’s staff
- Ensuring UVC’s commitment to and following through with Safe Gatherings guidelines
- Serve as an on-call resource for UVC children’s ministers who may need help in developing and growing the children’s ministries at their site
- Collaborate with families in the development of ministry programs and service initiatives
- Recruit and develop volunteer team members who lead well and are poised for anticipated growth.
- Work within the allotted ministry budget, in collaboration with other UVC children’s ministers and responsibly steward these funds.
- Communicate clearly and timely with parents and congregation, with appropriate information through email, social-media posts, and bulletin announcements.
- Establish a relationship and collaborate with Staff-Parish Relations Committee liaison as necessary.
- Supervise paid caregivers in the nursery, as needed.
- Experience and competencies around supporting the spiritual needs of children of color and urban environment
Bachelor’s degree or higher.
Training and/or experience with children and family ministries desired.