We open our doors to anyone who seeks a meaningful and relevant spiritual experience in a church setting. We practice a progressive Christian theology that embraces people from all different religious denominations and religious traditions. Affiliated with the American Baptist Churches in the USA, Lake Street Church cherishes its non-creedal tradition: we affirm that every person has soul liberty—the complete freedom and responsibility to seek and embody God in one’s life.
The Director of Youth Programming is a part-time (22 hours per week), salaried position and is accountable to the Lake Street Church (LSC) congregation with a special focus on the spiritual needs and development of Youth in grades 6 thru 12. The stated purpose of LSC’s Youth Programming is to “imagine and facilitate opportunities for LSC Youth to: 1) recognize and celebrate the divine that moves within, among and around us; 2) embody God in the work each in their own way; 3) transform as they wake to the hidden wholeness of life; 4) connect across generations of the LSC community, 5) Focus on Youth issues such as advocacy, community, etc. within Evanston.” This position reports to the Senior Minister.
- Providing leadership for the Youth Committee in inspiring the active engagement of our Middle Schoolers and High Schoolers in the KSC program
- Overseeing the Middle School and High School morning programming (including Sunday School)
- Communicating on a regular basis with Youth, their families, and the congregation as a whole
- Welcoming and orienting new families with Youth to the church in cooperation with other staff members
- Focus on Youth issues, such as advocacy, community, making connections and building relationships with our Youth and the Youth of other spiritual communities within Evanston
- Organizing activities for the Youth in connect intergenerationally with LSC’s adult congregants and younger children
- Organizing programs and special events for Youth (i.e. Lock-ins, Ski Trips)
- Attending most off-site Youth events and activities (i.e. Friday Night Club activities and Service Projects)
- Build personal relationships with the Youth particularly the high schoolers
- Working with the Youth Committee to select and evaluate curriculum for Our Whole Lives (OWL), confirmation class,
- Sunday morning programming, and any other Youth activities
- Assisting the Senior Minister as needed with LSC’s confirmation class (offered every other year for the 12 weeks leading up to Palm Sunday for 7th and 8th graders)
- Performing administrative tasks including maintaining records, budgets, and sharing information with other staff
- Recruiting, training, supervising, and supporting volunteer teachers as well as volunteers for Youth activities – utilizing our Safe Church policies
- Attending weekly staff meetings, monthly Youth meetings, quarterly off-site retreats, board meetings as needed, and semi-annual all-church board meetings.
Type of Position:
22 hours per week.
Vacation: 3 weeks per year (on a prorated basis), only 2 of which may be taken during the program year. This includes no more than 3 Sundays. Vacation must be taken in the calendar year. You are eligible to accumulate paid sick days at a rate of 1 (4.4-hr day) per month until you reach the maximum of 75 prorated days.
Send applications to: [email protected]
. Applications will be reviewed by the search committee and up to 4 candidates will be invited to an interview soon after all applications are received. The committee wants to fill this position as early as September 11th.