Chicago Theological Seminary, a seminary affiliated with the United Church of Christ, serves God, Christ’s Church, multiple faith communities, and the larger world by educating persons theologically and cultivating the intellectual, pastoral, and spiritual capacities of lay and ordained religious leaders, scholars, and activists who contribute to the increase of justice and mercy.
The Seminary seeks to hire a part-time Field Education Assistant (20 hours/week) in the Office of Theological Field Education. The Office of Theological Field Education works directly with every student enrolled in the MDiv program to complete two required formation experiences—one unit of Clinical Pastoral Education and a placement in supervised ministry for an academic year. This position will report to Director of Theological Field Education. The principal responsibilities include facilitating relationships with field sites and students engaged in field education and clinical pastoral education, discerning and accompanying students in their vocational trajectories, and assisting the Director in administering the program.
- Assist in seeking out, cultivating, evaluating, and maintaining relationships with field placements sites and supervisors in congregational, non-profit, and community-based settings, both locally and at a distance.
- Maintain and update electronic and print materials about potential field placement sites
- Assist in coaching students through the field placement and Clinical Pastoral Education process, discerning with them their vocational and learning goals.
- Facilitate communications between students and placement sites.
- Promote multicultural competencies in race/ethnicity, gender and sexuality, social location, and religious belonging within and between supervisors and students.
- Work with the Director to ensure that forms and materials are submitted and filed in a timely fashion and to plan events, including liturgy, orientations, and meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master of Divinity, advanced theological degree, or equivalent experience within a religious congregation or organization is preferred
- Experience in building and fostering productive relationships with a broad range of constituencies in a safe, respectful, and confidential manner
- Cultural and theological competencies needed to build relationships with faith leaders and students, especially from and/or serving marginalized communities
- Demonstrably strong writing, planning, and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to prioritize work and perform multiple tasks simultaneously while adhering to deadlines
- Ability to take responsibility, to work well with a team and independently; ability to deal with confidential data and hold sacred trust.
- Familiarity with word processing, database, and social media and other communication tools.
- Other duties as assigned
- Time Requirement: 20 hours per week generally within regular business hours, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM CST. Some evening hours may be required.
- Travel Requirement: Occasional travel to field placement sites may be required.
- Compensation: $16/hour
- Event planning and execution experience
- Relevant experience in adult student growth and development in online settings
- Relevant experience in contextual education
- An understanding of the current challenges facing religious leaders and some insight on opportunities for revitalization or new, creative endeavor