Who We Are
We are a faith-based organization that strives to achieve social change for issues related to race, poverty, and LGBTQIA+ liberation. Founded in 1882, CRS informs, organizes and trains both communities and individuals to advocate for social and economic justice. We envision a community where all God’s children flourish and live in dignity.
What We Will Bring
At Community Renewal Society, we have a welcoming and energetic environment that encourages collaboration. We are consistently exploring new approaches to achieve social justice. This environment gives our people the opportunity to live out their passion for justice and build new capabilities, while discovering their genius.
You will use data, online organizing and political tools as well as old school stuff like phone banks and conference calls.
The benefits and paid-time off we offer are comparable to what we’d press any organization to offer their employees.
Come be a part of our team – you’ll work with great people!
Seeking Organizing & Policy Associate Candidate to Bring
• Status Quo Challenger: See the bigger picture, understand the issues critical to justice and reform and operate as a thought leader in the area policy and organizing. Bring new thinking and apply best practices to solve challenges. Constantly look for new and better ways of executing defined CRS projects and initiatives.
• Builder: Form effective and powerful networks that speak the truth with one resounding and persuasive voice to overcome the barriers of isms and poverty. Recruit new member congregations and organizations for membership, training and call to action. Organize, train, mentor and strengthen relationships with leaders in new and existing member congregations.
• Influencer: Familiarity with abolitionist, racial justice, and anti capitalist politic. Utilize your ability to self-start, your passion for social justice and your experience in organizing to partner with congregations and low-income communities to tackle the most critical issues. Inspire volunteers to come together across racial, ethnic, geographic and socioeconomic lines to shape public policies that foster hope and create opportunity for all Illinois residents.
• Advisor: Experience organizing communities to win change. Build strong relationships with community leaders and provide trusted advice on CRS’ Platform for Renewal and Legislative Priorities. Consult, challenge, and provide recommendations to leaders based on insights and data.
• Advocate: Experience working on multiple campaigns. Understand and communicate effectively on all issues addressed by the network. Prepare research to support program and policy development.
• Bring our Values & Beliefs to Life: Build and staff volunteer teams including recruiting and convening leaders to the team working with them. Collaborate to build targeted strategies and solutions based on community need and move into action. Publicly represent Community Renewal Society in a professional and engaging manner with staff, volunteers, partners, and funders in coalitions, workgroups, on various committees and at organization-wide events.
We’d Love to See
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred
• A minimum of two years’ prior experience in community organizing
• Experience working with African-American clergy and congregations
• A valid Illinois driver’s license and access to a regular vehicle • Working experience with churches, clergy and lay leaders • Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Experience with on-line communication and advocacy tools and databases preferred
• Knowledge of the legislative process preferred Must be able to speak, read and write English with high proficiency. Bilingual in English and Spanish is a plus.
Must be proficient in MS programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and able to quickly learn and adapt to different online organizing tools and databases.
Basic mathematical skills required.
Work may require walking or standing to a significant degree, including ascending and descending stairs. Work requires expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word, including imparting oral information to constituents, co-workers and the public. Work requires the ability to be able to hear and receive detailed information through oral communication. Work requires vision approximating 20/20 either naturally or through correction with lenses and a reasonable field of vision.
Work environment includes occasional exposure to weather. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Community Renewal Society provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, CRS complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
CRS expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of CRS’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employees for this job. Duties and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
POSITION TYPE AND EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This a full-time position, and hours of work vary with a minimum of 35 hours worked per week. The schedule will include working nights and weekends as needed.
Work will require frequent local and in-state travel. Employees must have daily access to a vehicle to meet the duties of the position. Employees must also have a valid driver’s license and automobile insurance.
HOW TO APPLY
For consideration, please submit current resume, with cover letter outlining the reason for your interest in this position with Community Renewal Society along with three professional references to [email protected] No telephone calls or recruiters, please.