The Congregational Church of New Canaan is a welcoming, inclusive and compassionate church community where difference and diversity are valued. We gather to promote the love and knowledge of the God revealed in Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior, Redeemer and Friend, and welcome all to participate in the life of our church regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, ability, marital status, or sexual orientation.
We foster a large, vibrant, and enthusiastic youth community in which our 200+ K-12 participants may experience and share the love of God. To learn more about our youth programs, click here.
The Senior Youth Director works with the Senior Minister and other ministerial and lay staff to envision, develop, and implement excellent Youth Ministry programming and to create a vision for engagement and spiritual nurture for youth in grades K-12. The Senior Youth Director will help create, plan, and execute a ministry program for youth, including curriculum development/selection, enrollment, space usage, record keeping, budget management, supplies, and schedules. The Senior Youth Director will lead an established team that includes a Youth Director, Program Coordinator, and 6-8 Youth Advisors.
The Senior Youth Director’s role is full-time. The nature of the role lends itself to non-standard work hours and a flexible work schedule. Travel for retreats, off-sites, and mission trips is required.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Create relational and transformative ministry opportunities for the youth of the community.
- Organize, develop and execute the yearly calendar and curriculum for high school participants.
- Organize, develop and execute periodic programming for elementary school participants.
- Assist the Youth Director with the organization, development and execution of the yearly calendar and curriculum for middle school students.
- Maintain a regular presence in the community and be a faithful presence in the church.
- Periodically assist in religious services held by or at the Church as directed by the Senior Minister.
- Manage and coordinate a staff of 6-10 full and part-time individuals.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in teaching, working with youth, or related discipline.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university (or a high school diploma/GED with a minimum of 8 years of related experience.)
- Prior experience with direct or indirect team leadership
- Excellent leadership skills including the ability to delegate.
- An understanding of the needs of individuals at various levels of intellectual, theological, social and emotional development.
- Effective self-management skills including but not limited to meeting deadlines, effective prioritization of tasks, self-organization, managing up and down, and efficient time and task management.
- Ability to adapt, problem solve and remain flexible to a changing environment.
- Tact and sensitivity, including but not limited to adhering to confidentiality obligations such as mandated reporting as part of child protection.
- Ability to build strong and effective collegial relationships with parents, participants and staff.
- Ability to deal with conflict and resolve situations in an emotionally mature manner.
- Ability to communicate and build relationships effectively and appropriately with diverse range of individuals, including but not limited to children and families, colleagues, and external partners.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong faith-based ethical standards and personal integrity.
Benefits offered include but are not limited to health insurance coverage with generous employer contributions; FSA plan; retirement; housing; long-term disability insurance and life insurance; flexible work schedule.