Urban Village Church (www.urbanvillagechurch.org) is a community of people in Chicago trying to do church differently. We pray and work to be a bold, inclusive, relevant church that introduces or reintroduces people to God; accepts absolutely everybody (believer or doubter, gay or straight, tattoos or suits) right where they are; and offers something good and helpful to the world. We seek a worship co-leader/vocalist musician to lead weekly Sunday services in Wicker Park at Vittum Theater (1012 N Noble St, Chicago, IL 60642) ideally starting August 2021.
Together, with another co-worship leader, you will be responsible for facilitating and energetically leading praise and worship during Sunday services and other special worship services (Blue Christmas, Christmas Eve, Good Friday, etc.) in collaboration with worship leaders from our other sites, incorporating a variety of elements and styles that focus on welcoming and inspiring the church community into full participation in the bold, inclusive and relevant mission of God.
Reports to: Rev. D’Angelo Smith (Site Pastor of UVC Wicker and Hyde Park | Woodlawn)
Status: Part Name, 7-9 hrs/week which pays $8,400 annually
- Preparation for Sunday Morning Activities and Special Services:
- Communicating with pastor(s) and co-leader instrumentalist on theme/sermon content for the week to co-create and co-lead a well-planned and prayerful worship service
- Selecting songs that are singable for diverse abilities in a communal context
- Working with a co-leader to choose and prepare songs to complete a “set-list” that would feed people most effectively and respond to God’s word and presence.
- Worship music primarily consists of an opening set, offering, communion, and closing songs.
- Paying special attention to theological messages that are inclusive, thoughtful, and sensitive to the spiritual needs of the congregation, including attention paid to gendered language about God and a commitment to anti-racist values. This is done in collaboration with the pastor and co-leader.
- Sending set list and lyrics to team members and A/V leads by Wednesday evening
- Preparing lyrics documents to be used by team on Sundays;
Coordinate and oversee Sunday Morning Activities (8:30am-12pm) and Special Services:
- Setting up equipment with co-leader – speakers, mics, mic and music stands, monitors, cables, etc.
- Rehearsing with singers and band members, ensuring that singers are adequately prepared for worship (e.g. distributing lyrics documents and coaching volunteer singers on song parts);
- Welcoming congregants, inviting congregants to participate in the service before and during service, leading congregants through the songs of the set list;
Recruiting and overseeing volunteer singers:
- Encouraging participation, with attention paid to size and diversity (gender, racial/ethnic) of the music leadership;
- Coordinating with A/V volunteer leadership to ensure synchronization of music and lyrics, sound quality, other projection needs.
Meeting monthly with site pastor and co-leader;
Gathering and collaborating with other site worship leaders for special functions and services and sharing in responsibility to conduct those special functions and services .
We are not looking for a diva, but for someone who enjoys leading God’s people in worship and helping people discover the countercultural joy of singing *together*. The ideal candidate will:
- Lead the congregation in song and be able to contribute to the overall balance of the team (playing an instrument is a plus, but not required)
- Arranging vocal parts and locating new music in a variety of genres
- Knowledge of a wide range of Christian/spiritual songs that are relevant for a church context; conversant/comfortable with many of the following musical styles/genres:
- traditional Christian hymns
- contemporary worship music (e.g. Chris Tomlin, Aaron Niequist, Hillsong, Maverick City Music, Elevation Worship)
- pop (e.g Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Katy Perry)
- Formal or informal musical training (ranging from self taught, to private lessons, to college degree with a music background)
- At least 1 year prior experience leading worship in a congregational setting preferred
- Experience training and organizing singers
- Comfort speaking and performing publicly with a commitment of seeking to grow in that area
- The ability to create quarterly/yearly goals and vision for the music team
- Physical Requirements:
- Position requires the ability to lift boxes, music materials and sound equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Core Competencies:
- Organizational/Administrative skills
- Confidence/Public Speaking
- Developing and managing a team
- Energized by cultivating relationships
- Growth mindset
- Teamwork mentality
Sundays and Special Worships
Auditions will be arranged based on availability of the musician and pastors. Send an email to [email protected] and [email protected] to apply and with any questions. To apply, submit:
1) a description of your style, repertoire, and experience;
2) a short resume including 3 references and their contact information; and
3) audio or video links to samples of your singing/worship leading.
*Applicants are strongly encouraged to attend one of our 10:30 AM Sunday worship services, via Facebook or Youtube, to gain a sense of who we are and what we’re looking for.